The Immigration and Emigration Controller General has taken a decision to extend the validity period of all types of visas of foreigners who are currently in Sri Lanka, taking into consideration the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
It said the periods of validity of visas of all categories obtained by the foreigners who have already visited Sri Lanka have been extended by 60 days with effect from 11 May to 9 July 2021.
Only visa fees applicable for that period will be charged for the visas that expire within this period and these are exempted from overstay penalties, the Immigration and Emigration Department said in a statement.
The Department said it is providing services with a minimum staff due to the COVID-19 pandemic and accordingly, the Battaramulla Head Office is open for the issuance of passports in case of an emergency.
The regional offices in Kandy, Vavuniya, Matara and Kurunegala are open for the public who may have the essential service requirements to visit the regional offices, subject to travel restrictions.
The following instructions have been given to the visa holders.
- Instructions for tourist visa holders to get endorsed visas: Accordingly, tourist visa holders can follow one of the methodologies to make payments for the extension of their visa and to get a visa endorsement.
1. To obtain a tourist visa, tourist visa holders are hereby advised to pay the relevant visa fee and get the visa extension via the following link on or before 9 July https://eservices.immigration.gov.lk/vs; or
2. If you intend to leave the island during the aforementioned period, your journey will be also facilitated by paying the relevant visa fee at the airport; or
3. Visit the office at Battaramulla on or before 9 July and get endorsed the visa in the passport by paying the relevant visa fees.
- Instructions for resident visa holders: Extension of visa up to 9 July is applicable for all resident visa holders, too. To get extended the visa before that date, contact 0707101050 between 8.30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on working days to make an appointment, and the visa endorsement can be obtained by visiting the office at Battaramulla on or before 9 July and paying the relevant visa fees.
The public are requested to seek instructions on essential services by contacting the relevant branches through the relevant telephone numbers or email addresses between 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. on working days.
The Department emphasised that the provision of services during the pandemic is subjected to policy decisions of the Government made from time to time, curfew or travel restrictions, and the decisions of health and security sections. Therefore, you are notified that the decisions to provide services are also subjected to any revisions that may crop up.